PRACTICESPersonal Injury Defense
Corporate Finance and Business Formation
Insurance Defense Litigation
Commercial and Business Litigation
- Drake University, B.A.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, J.D.
- State of Missouri
- State of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Nick Hillyard is a trial attorney who practices in the areas of commercial litigation, insurance defense, insurance coverage, personal injury and general civil litigation representing individuals, businesses and insurance companies as plaintiffs and defendants in all variety of matters. Mr. Hillyard has tried many cases to juries and successfully argued before the Missouri Court of Appeals. He also has significant experience in the area of creditor defense and has handled cases for creditors, including class actions, in federal, state and administrative courts across the United States. In 2014, Mr. Hillyard was recognized by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers publication as a “Rising Star Super Lawyer” in the states of Missouri and Kansas.
Mr. Hillyard received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Missouri - Kansas City, where he graduated magna cum laude. During law school, he worked as a teaching assistant for the legal research and writing program for two years. Before attending law school, Mr. Hillyard worked as a newspaper reporter and editor. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and Mass Communication from Drake University, where he graduated cum laude. During his undergraduate studies, Mr. Hillyard attended Semester at Sea and participated in The Fund for American Studies’ Institute taking courses at Georgetown University and interning at the National Federation of Independent Business, an organization lobbying for small and independent businesses in Washington, DC. Mr. Hillyard is licensed to practice in the Missouri and Kansas state and federal courts.
- State Auto Property & Cas v. Lewis, 2014 WL 1094912 (D. Kan. 2014).
- Hammack v. Coffelt Land Title, Inc., 348 S.W.3d 75 (Mo. App. 2011).
- Diaz-Oropeza v. Riverside Red X, Inc., 2011 WL 2580167 (D. Kan. 2011).
Recent Significant Trials
- James M. Philpott, et al. v. Freddie Dean Anderson, Case No. 12HE-CC00031, Henry Co., Mo.
- Remodel KC, LLC v. M & M Properties, Inc., Case No. 1216-CV30288, Jackson Co. Mo.
- Robert Hund v. Ingeberg M. Crosby, Case No. 10AE-CV04271, Platte Co., Mo.