PRACTICESPersonal Injury Defense
Insurance Defense Litigation
Commercial and Business Litigation
Insurance Coverage, Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Liability Litigation
- University of Missouri - Columbia, B.S. Civil Engineering
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D.
- State of Missouri
- State of Kansas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court, Western District of Missouri
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Mr. Clifford practices in the area of civil litigation with an emphasis in insurance defense. He has experience in the areas of bad faith/vexatious refusal insurance coverage, equitable garnishment actions, premises liability, trucking and automobile litigation, construction litigation, and products liability. Mr. Clifford has second chaired cases to a defense verdict and obtained summary judgment on behalf of his clients in several other cases. His current significant cases include representing several different insurance companies in multi-million dollar equitable garnishment and bad faith actions.
Mr. Clifford received his Juris Doctorate from St. Louis University School of Law, where he graduated cum laude with a concentration in intellectual property. During law school, Mr. Clifford was on the Dean's list, was a member of the Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition Team, and worked as a teaching assistant for the legal research and writing department. Mr. Clifford received his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from the University of Missouri-Columbia where he graduated cum laude.
Mr. Clifford has served as a guest judge for the Missouri and Kansas high-school mock trial competition through the Young Lawyers Section of the Missouri Bar. He is currently an active member of The Missouri Bar Association, The Kansas Bar Association, and the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association.
Mr. Clifford recently secured the top defense verdict in the State of Missouri for 2017 according to Missouri Lawyers Weekly in an equitable garnishment and bad faith action against an insurer. The plaintiffs sought recovery of a $34 million verdict and additional damages for alleged bad faith on the part of the insurer. The trial court held there was no coverage under the insurer’s policy and entered judgment in favor of the insurer on all claims.
- Sims v. American Multi-Cinema, Inc., Jackson County, Missouri, 2015 (premises liability)
- Mick v. Schieber, Holt County, Missouri, 2015 (auto accident)
- Missouri Association of Mutual Insurance Companies annual convention, 2015.