Insurance Coverage, Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Liability Litigation
Personal Injury Defense
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, M.A., History
- University of Central Missouri, B.A., History/Bus. Administration
- State of Missouri
- State of Kansas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Association of Women Lawyers - Greater Kansas City
Ms. Cook provides unique and significant trial and appellate experience having practiced as an attorney in the areas of complex civil litigation (including antitrust cases and health care fraud) as well as white collar criminal defense and appellate practice in both federal and state courts prior to serving as a member of the Missouri Judiciary as a Circuit Judge and Presiding Judge for the 17th Judicial Circuit from 2001-2012. Prior to taking the bench, Ms. Cook briefed and/or argued over 35 cases in the appellate courts in the states of Missouri and Kansas, and federal courts of the Eighth and the Tenth Circuits. In 1996, she appeared with James R. Wyrsch before the United States Supreme Court in the case of United States v. Wells and Steele, 519 U.S. 482 (1997).
As a Circuit Judge, Ms. Cook heard a wide range of cases including those involving insurance coverage, bad faith and first party claims, FELA, mesothelioma, products liability, personal injury, sexual harassment, hostile work environment, retaliation, commercial and business litigation, mortgages and foreclosures, banking regulation, and real estate as well as domestic, juvenile and criminal, with over 90 cases reported on appellate review. Ms. Cook sat as a special judge on the Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District on 3 occasions, Wilkerson v. Leonard, 258 S.W. 3d 90 (Mo. App. W.D. 2008); State v. Allen, 295 S.W. 3d 179 (Mo. App. W.D. 2009) and Smith v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp., __ S.W. 3d ___, 2012 WL 4497553 (W.D. Mo. 10/12/2012) and on the Missouri Supreme Court, In re Van Orden, 271 S. W. 3d 579 (Mo. banc 2008).
Ms. Cook currently serves on the Missouri Supreme Court Committee on Criminal Procedures as well as the Supreme Court Committee on Civil Education, Sub-Committee on Adult Education. As a Circuit Judge she served on the Presiding Judges Executive Committee; Missouri Supreme Court appointment as Judicial Representative, Children's Justice Task Force; Missouri Supreme Court Committee member and Fellow on Advanced Science and Technology Adjudication Resources; and the Circuit Judges Legislative Steering Committee. In 2012, she was co-recipient of the Association of Women Lawyers-Greater Kansas City Judge of the Year Award.
Prior to joining the bench, Ms. Cook served by appointment for over 7 years on the Subcommittee on Model Criminal Jury Instructions for the Eighth Circuit (Criminal) and as a member, Judicial Selection Commission, Magistrate-Western District of Missouri (1999). In 1996, she received the Atticus Finch Award from the Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys.
Ms. Cook has published numerous articles in law reviews, national publications, as well as on behalf of continuing legal education for the Missouri Bar, the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, the Cass County Bar and the Missouri Judicial Education Committee in the areas of criminal law, constitutional law, judicial practice, and judicial ethics.
Recent Significant Trials: Civil
- · Gunter v. KCP& L, et al., Case No. 10CA-CV01079, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (case of first impression as to the ability to present occupational disease claims in circuit court rather than the Workers' Compensation Commission)
- · Bauer v. Bowes, , Case No. 17010100808, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (commercial real estate leases/ guarantees)
- · Durbin v. Dietrick,, Case No. 07JO-CV01005, Circuit Court of Johnson County, Missouri (anti-stacking provisions of UIM coverage)
- · Talley v. Swift, et al., Case No. 07CA-CV01824-01, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (motorcycle personal injury)
- · Frey v. Speedway Chevrolet Cadillac, , Case No. 06JO-CV00363, 06JO-CV00725, Circuit Court of Johnson County, Missouri (sexual discrimination/hostile work environment/ retaliation)
- · U.S. Bank NA v. Cox et al., , Case No. 08JO-CV00441, Circuit Court of Johnson County, Missouri (reformation of deed of trust/unjust enrichment)
- · Cameron Mut. Ins. v. Woods, , Case No. CV499-432CC, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (farm liability policy/ dog attack)
- · City of Peculiar v. Marin Marietta Materials, Inc., , Case No. 17V010400619, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (city annexation)
- · Hammack v. Coffelt Land Title, Inc., , Case No. 17V010400041, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (relationship back-escrow agreement)
- · Fields v. Milsap & Singer, P.C., , Case No. 06CA-CV00872, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (quiet title/wrongful foreclosure)
- · Cooper v. Carns, , Case No. 17V010500349, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (quiet title/adverse possession)
- · Jablonski v. Barton Mut. Ins. Co., , Case No. 17040300332, Circuit Court of Johnson County, Missouri (insurance coverage/business property exclusion)
- · Obermiller Construction Services, Inc.v. Public Water District No. 5 of Cass County, , Case No. 05CA-CV01911 (breach of contract/reformation/rescission/quantum meruit)
- · State v. Rinehart,, Case No. 09CA-CR00116-01, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (murder, child endangerment, incest)
- · State v. Robert Morrow,, Case No. 07CA-CR00290-01, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (second degree murder/admission of cell phone technology)
- · State v. Waylon Morrow, , Case No. 07CA-CR00201-01, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (second degree murder/admission of cell phone technology)
- · State v. Bell,, Case No. 07CA-CR01468-01, Circuit Court of Cass County, Missouri (suppression of illegal stop/armed robbery/armed criminal action)
- · State v. Fuelling,, Case No. CR0601-000749, Circuit Court of Johnson County, Missouri (second degree-felony murder/child abuse/child endangerment)
- · State v. Wood,, Case No. CR600-187FX, Circuit Court of Johnson County, Missouri (suppression of confession of individual elicited by pastor who also acted as deputy sheriff)